Set the Rules, and We’ll Enforce Them with GVTC’s ExperienceIQ
As kids get older, they become more interested in using their smartphones and tablets. While some apps, games, and websites are age-appropriate, others can be dangerous for children. As a parent, it's crucial to ensure they stay safe online. GVTC’s ExperienceIQ: Enhanced Parental Controls lets you do just that.
You can set profiles, content filters, screen time limits, and view network usage so your kids can only access sites, apps, and devices you deem appropriate. For a limited time, we are offering a 30-day free trial of ExperienceIQ to all Premium Wifi customers! Click here for more details.
Understanding the app landscape
It's no secret that kids love using apps. A recent study showed that kids under the age of 8 spend an average of 2 hours and 19 minutes per day using mobile devices and teens over 7 hours per day. That's a lot of time spent on screens!
Here is a list of the top 5 app categories parents should know their kids are using:
- Social Media Apps: Kids love connecting with friends and family on social media apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat. While there are some great things about social media, there are some dangers that parents need to be aware of. Cyberbullying is a real problem on social media platforms. Parents should talk to their kids about online safety and make sure they know how to report inappropriate behavior.
- Messaging Apps: Messaging apps like WhatsApp and iMessage are popular among kids for staying in touch with friends. However, these apps can also be used for cyberbullying and other inappropriate behavior. Parents should talk to their kids about responsible use of messaging apps and make sure they know how to report any problems.
- Gaming Apps: Gaming apps are extremely popular among kids of all ages. While there are many age-appropriate and safe games out there, parents need to be aware of the dangers of some gaming apps. For example, some games may contain violence, sexual content, or in-app purchases that can add up quickly. Parents should carefully review the games their kids are playing and make sure they are appropriate for their age.
- Camera Apps: Camera apps like Snapchat and Instagram are popular among kids for sharing photos and videos with friends. However, these apps can also be used to share inappropriate photos and videos. Parents should talk to their kids about responsible use of camera apps and make sure they know how to report any problems.
- Shopping Apps: Shopping apps like Amazon and eBay are popular among kids for buying items online. However, these apps can also be used to make in-app purchases that can add up quickly. Parents should carefully review the apps their kids are using and make sure they are appropriate for their age.
Technology is a great learning tool and a fun resource when used correctly and in moderation. Give your children the ability to safely explore apps, games, and websites by letting GVTC ExperienceIQ be your personal Wifi assistant. Remember, you must have our Premium WiFi to access parental controls and receive the 30-day free trial of ExperienceIQ, so upgrade today if you haven’t already!